Saturday, April 4, 2020

Day 11 - Mt Schank, Cape Northumberland, Tantanoola Cave, Glencoe Woolshed, Lake McIntyre, Millicent

Monday 16 March 2020 


I’m restless. Every day I spend a fair amount of time wondering if my next stop should be heading my closer to home. I’m in Mount Gambier another night but I need to be making a decision for tomorrow and choose a property. Meanwhile, what shall I do this morning. I check the things to do on TripAdvisor and decide that while it’s still cool thismorning, I’ll head down to Mount Schank and check that out. 
Mount Schank Rim Trail - 1068 steps
The trail up to the rim of the extinct volcano is on the shady southern side of the cone. The sign suggests that the 1 km trail can be completed in 30 minutes one way. Seats are provided along the way to give a break from their count of 1038 steps on the limestone track. The track is interesting. It’s easier than steps, but the limestone blocks alternate in thickness so that you get a good grip as you walk. Mount Schank, is a refuge for native grasses which have almost completely disappeared from the south east of South Australia.
The views from the rim of Mount Schank are as impressive as was promised.  I speak briefly with a couple who arrived earlier and are now heading back down. And another friendly chat is had with a nice young man I’d spoken with in the parking area. I guess it’s not surprising that viewing the crater puts me strongly in mind of Lochnagar Crater in France. After procrastinating and wasting time for a while, one half of my mind saying I don’t have time or physical resources to walk another hour (2.4 km) around the rim and the other calling siren like that I may as well while I’m here, I just set out for a bit of a look. Before I know it, I’m committed. 
Rim and Crater, Mount Schank
I’m half in South Australia, half in France as I walk along the rim track. At places the track is comfortably broad and in others it’s a narrow picking of footsteps on the edge of a drop off between ragged volcanic rocks. In France, our little group of four walked around the slippery clay rim path (as it then was) in driving sleet. A very memorable experience.  Mount Schank is much larger of course and rather than being associated with the detonation of many tonnes of ammonal under crowded trenches of soldiers it is one of the camp fires abandoned by the Giant Craitbul back in the day.
Rim Track narrow section, Mt Schank
Scientists reckon the volcano erupted only about 5000 years ago. Wouldn’t it be inconvenient if it suddenly decided to explode again while I’m walking. I’m not walking very quickly and I’m watching the young bloke, easily identifiable in his hi vis shirt complete his rim circuit and pick his way down into the crater. He’s down and back and long gone by the time I get back to the track back down to the car. My visit has taken about 1 ¾ hours, so add a little loitering using facilities and procrastinating, I’d say the signs have it about right for a leisurely visit.
Next I waver. I’m super keen to get to Tantanoola Cave having read that it’s the most highly decorated cave on the Limestone Coast. I was planning to get there for the first tour, but now I’m called by Cape Northumberland. I didn’t stop there yesterday because I was getting a bit tired and just wanted to get to Mount Gambier. I’m halfway back there now, so I figure I’ve got time for a quick squiz there and then still time to get back to Tantanoola.
Wow. I’m surprised by how much I enjoy Cape Northumberland. I wasn’t going to worry about walking out to the point but a man whose knees are pretty much stuffed, and who walks with a stick, sparks up a conversation with me as the rest of his party heads up the path that has some steps. It’s brilliant he says and it’s an easy walk, don’t miss going down there!  OK, that’s quite a recommendation so I head out, with the old road to myself. It’s a very impressive spot, as is the viewing platform closer to the car park. I’m fairly hard to please for coastlines really but this, like the Bay of Martyrs, encourages lingering. Does everywhere have a feature they name Camel Rock? This one's even more camel-like than the similar feature at the Giant's Causeway. 
Camel Rock, Cape Northumberland
I should start heading to Tantanoola and I start the car with that intention, but the spirit of this place takes control and turns my steering wheel the couple of turns to head down along Surfer’s Way. I could easily spend all afternoon exploring along the coast. Sense prevails though because I like caves a lot and I REALLY want to see the Tantanoola Cave today.
Along Surfers Way, Cape Northumberland
About half an hour later I’m pulling up in the car park at Tantanoola Cave. I’ve just missed a tour but they run every half hour so to kill time the lady there encourages me to do the walk up onto the ridgeline. It doesn’t look that exciting and by the time we’ve chatted for a little while I’m thinking it’s too late, but apparently 15 minutes is enough for the walking so I set off. And the walk really isn’t terribly exciting except for a couple of things 1. Wallabies hang out along there and 2. There’s and abundantly flowering bush. 
Wallaby, Tantanoola Cave Reserve
Now lots of native shrubs are said to attract insects and that’s nice but this is the first time I’ve seen just how attractive to insects they can be. This thing is alive with buzzing insects and butterflies. I have an interest in native bees so this is really pretty exciting. They are so active and fast I can’t get a good image or a good look at them to look up what they are but I am none-the-less delayed by simply standing there in wonder. One eye on the time, I drag myself away and get back just in time to take this tour with just myself and the guide.
Pillar in Tantanoola Cave
Access to the Tantanoola Cave is easy. REALLY easy. It’s just a short walk, say 15-20 metres from the door of the ticket office, then you open the door to the cave and step inside. That’s it. It’s that easy and the whole cave is visible. There’s some path where you can move around without steps and a small area where there’s a couple of steps but it’s completely accessible. Tantanoola is one of 1300 registered caves on the Limestone Coast. Being to close to the surface the rate of growth in the crystal is erratic and much dependent on rainfall. The crystal is an unusual colour in places. This is due to the difference in the minerals captured, this being a dolomite cave. After about 10 minutes of presentation by my guide I have some time to just wander about admiring the formations in complete wonder. This must surely be as spectacular a cave as exists anywhere on earth and certainly one of the quickest and easiest to view. I can't believe I never heard of it before. As the time for the next tour approaches, I make my way out, spend a little more time on the displays in the visitor centre and get on my way.
Glencoe Wooshed with Truman Windmill
Along the way to the cave, I noticed a sign to Glencoe Woolshed. I like a good woolshed so I’m inclined to wander back there for a quick look next. It’s about 35 minutes back to Glencoe Woolshed, a bit of a false start as I find that I need to go back to the general store in Glencoe to get the key. This is a very unusual woolshed indeed. I have never even heard of a stone woolshed before. In many ways it is typical in it’s overall facilities, central race and pens with swing doors for the shearers to claim their next beast, long rows or stands for the shearers and shutes for the sheep to be scooted back outside. At the far end are the wool tables where the fleece is classed and the rough dirty edges are removed and of course baling facilities. 
Pens and the board, Glencoe Woolshed
But what I don’t understand is the underfloor ventilation or lack thereof.  The floor of woolsheds is slotted so that as the sheep drop their pellet like manure or urine, it just goes through the slats in the floor onto the earthen floor beneath the shed. An active woolshed us usually powerfully pungent as a result. But most sheds I’ve seen have been raised on piers with open sides and good air flow to the under floor. Here, being stone, this is obviously not the case. None of the information panels seems to address this issue. What the information does cover includes the roles of various shearing team members and, sadly, a series of quotations from reminiscences or historical records of the gradual demise of the traditional way of life for the Boandik people.
Street Art, George St Millicent by Mimby Jones Robinson
Key returned to the General Store it’s now about 3:30 pm. So what now? I decide to head over for a bit of a look at Millicent and a visit to Lake McIntyre. It’s 5 o’clock by the time I am in town and prowling around trying to photograph some of the street art and local landmarks. I’m too late for the National Trust Museum, but it any case it's probably time to head on out to the lake.
Dotterl Hide, Lake McIntyre
There’s not many people or cars around so a nice seat overlooking the lake and its assembled waterfowl is welcome for a short time. Superb Fairy Wrens hop up to catch insects around the stem of a small shrub, constantly piping to each other keeping in contact as the extended family forages in the undergrowth.
Superb Fairy Wren. All you can say from this is that it's not an adult male. 
Ultimately I decide to walk the loop around the lake and check out the bird hides. It’s an easy, level walk and taking my time, this consumes about an hour. There’s a lot of Straw Necked Ibis, a couple of Black-winged Stilts, Australasian Grebe and Pacific Black Ducks. A few Pied Cormorants too. There’s not a great volume of water in the lake at the moment. The bird hides are nicely done.
Mostly Straw Necked Ibis
Lake McIntyre
Back in Mount Gambier I’m not ready to call it a day just yet, tomorrow’s a pretty full day so I’m keen to tick off the remaining essentials here this evening. I have read that there’s illuminations on the wall by the Cave Gardens, so I head over there and take a wander until those commence. Close to where I’m parked there’s another sign from the Admella Discovery Trail. There was another of these in Millicent. This trail has its own website and from my experiences today, I’m keen to include exploring this whole trail when I get back this way again.
Roses at the Cave Garden
The Cave Gardens are pretty with lovely roses, as perhaps one might expect in South Australia. The water features so prominently promoted are not operating. Am I too late or are they switched off for other reasons? I wander the street down past the art gallery and along Commercial Street East and loop back via Watson Terrace and the Gardiner Fountain, admiring the beautiful streetscape created by the large number of beautiful buildings. The Gardiner Fountain is also not running which is disappointing. Interestingly the Gardiner Fountain was donated to the community by Sir Robert Helpmann’s grandfather.
Abelia at the Cave Garden
Back at the sinkhole I spend a little time walking down along the path, but stop short of going all the way down. A large bank of flowering Abelia is acting as a shelter for some New Holland Honeyeaters and they flit back and forth across the abyss. Although it is not a native plant, Abelia is certainly beloved of honeyeaters and other nectar loving creatures.  
The light is failing, and I get to the point of not really wanting to hang around any longer. Off to collect some take away from Southern Thai Café which was very nice. The restaurant has a very nice ambience but I’m keen to just chill out now. Never did make it to the possums at Umpherston Sinkhole.

No comments: