Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Day 13 - Djuirite (Mt Arapiles), Natimuk, Murtoa, Tarnagulla and Bridgewater

Wednesday 18 March 2020

Thismorning I wake up, check the news and the urge to head home is overpowering. The balance on the pandemic’s progress in Australia is tipping and it’s time to draw a line under this walkabout. I’m on the road by about 7 am, enjoying the early morning drive. I don’t really have a firm agenda I’ve just told PRB to take me home and I’ll ad lib along the way.
My friends and I have been very much enjoying the whole “Silo Art” phenomenon and the ever growing abundance of art in small country towns. Perhaps an upside of initiatives that have been undertaken to support communities and diversify regional economies during periods of drought. Innovation and opportunities seized have created a nationwide canvas of creativity, even in the tiniest villages.
Big Fish at Edenhope, Victoria
 My first stop for some art appreciation is at Edenhope, where I pull over to capture the large metal fish sculpture, I look but can’t see any interpretive signage, but the fish shines in the early morning light. Exotic street trees are starting to colour with bright red.
Along the Wimmera Highway
A little way along the road I’m moved by beauty and am moved to pull over and capture the scene. There’s not much in the way of traffic and I enjoy some time out of the car just soaking in the quiet rural scene. Overnight rain has left a freshness and sheen to things.
Advance warning of the turn to Djuirite which the signs still call Mount Arapiles, gives me time to make the turn. The European name of the mountain was chosen by Major Sir Thomas Mitchell to commemorate the anniversary of a significant battle in the Napoleonic Wars. It remains a place of cultural significance for the Wotjobaluk people who are party to a number of parks in their traditional country.  It’s not far to drive to the lookout at the top of the mountain, a lot easier than climbing which is a traditional pastime here, extending back beyond Europeans to the traditional owners who exercised extraordinary climbing skills to access quarries where they sourced the silicified sandstone needed to make their stone tools.
Summit Lookout, Djuirite (Mount Arapiles)
The scenic impact of reaching the summit is somewhat compromised by the presence of communications towers, but it’s hard not to enjoy the full strength 4G mobile and data reception.
The track to the lookout platform is a rough set of rock steps which from which the path veers around to a northern facing suspended platform with views across to Mitre Rock and Mitre Lake.  I take my time, but even so, it’s not long before I’m driving back down the mountain and heading on my way...
Natimuk, mosaic sculptures
... to Natimuk where I am again delayed by some public art appreciation. This time it’s a collection of quirky figures with features and fashion defined by skilful mosaic work. Nearby is the eye catching sight of trees being hugged by colourful crocheted trunk stockings. I’ve noted in the village that there’s an interesting furniture store/manufacturer which research tells me makes reproduction period furniture of high quality. Having had a nice break, it’s back on the road.
The Wimmera Rivera
About another half hour finds me looking in wonder at the Wimmera River, somewhat aghast at my poor primary school education. Most of what I know of the geography of Australia was taught to me by my mother, who has always emphasised the superiority of the education she received in Queensland over that which was delivered in NSW. Well, to be fair, that wouldn’t be hard in the case of the public school I went to.  Somehow I always seemed to make it into the classes that were deemed not to need the constant attention of the teacher due to aptitude and ability, so one year with the choir master, the next with the band master and finally a term loosely supervised by the Principal.  Of course, Mum’s education focussed on Queensland geography, so she had great delight in having us recite the rivers of Queensland and describe where they ran… not that I remember all that now. But I had NO IDEA not the remotest inkling that there was such a thing as the Wimmera River. Or any river in the north west of Victoria for that matter. I had heard of the region known as the Wimmera but no clue that the district was named for a river. Quite a large river as it turns out.  Here on the edge of Horsham, they’ve made a lovely riverside precinct and there’s a riverside walk you can do if you have time. I don’t of course, so I drive on to get fuel and do a superficial reccie of the town.
My reccie proves fruitful as I find some high quality street art on the Centre for Participation, but I’ve still got quite a long way to go so it’s back to the driver’s seat.
Another hour and a half of lovely open road and I’m back in Murtoa. I passed this way on a quick road trip to Gariwerd (The Grampians) and the (original Yarriambiack Shire) Silo Art Trail which passes nearby. A little bit of exploring and I find a lead for my return with friends. This time I’m in luck and my arrival is at a time when the Stick Shed is open for visitors, do I leave it for the return or visit it now? Bird in the hand principle has me turning into the carpark. I better get a shuffle on because it’s already after midday and Mon-Saturday it closes at 12:30.
The Stick Shed, Murtoa - Cathedral of the Wimmera
A brief video in the entrance building tells the context, construction and vital statistics for the mass grain storage facility. It’s simply astonishingly large and the construction methodology precarious and improvised, real bush architecture. I ask from the staff whether there were any injuries or fatalities during the construction and without hesitation I’m told that in the entire time of construction and operation only two injuries were sustained, both crush injuries one to a hand and one to a foot. Amazing. Heading out to the shed itself, I find the frustration of trying, within the limits of the public access area, to get a photograph that does justice to the scale of the place. With time of the essence, I give it up and head inside.
I am presented with a complex webbing of bracing wires which form quite an aesthetically pleasing artistry. Looking down into the distance to the end of the shed, an art exhibition is displayed in cubicles defined by fine gauze curtains. The theme is Land is Family, images captured in normal working conditions on the farms, express the beauty of agriculture, a celebration of the beautiful nature of talented and resilient communities in country townships.  Photographic images are reproduced on an aluminium composite medium to complement this, the “cathedral of the Wimmera” and withstand the environmental elements within the shed.  I wander through this amazing structure, imagining performances which occur here from time to time, glad that the heritage value of this remote architectural gem has been recognised. As I scan down the lines of the visitor’s book, it’s clear I’m not alone in my feeling of wonder and gratitude to have the opportunity to see this remarkable monument to Australian rural ingenuity.
Rupanyup Living, Rupanyup
There’s more around Murtoa to be seen, but with limited time and a return trip with friends in the planning, it’s time to head on my way. My next stop is at Rupanyup Living where I need to pick up some of their delicious Gluten Free Brownie mix, a value-add enterprise using locally grown chickpea flour. The lovely little shop in the centre reserve of Rupanyup, is also a wonderful source of gifts. I bought up big when we were hear about a month or so ago.  
Rupanyup is of course a location for some impressive silo art, and at the silo location they have established a wall with useful tourism information and weather proof boxes for leaflets spruiking the charms of towns across Yarriambiack shire. I don’t repeat my visit to the silo today, nor the trail of chainsaw sculptures that is under development in the township. I am doing OK for time, but I’m aiming for Echuca so I still have a way to go yet.
Gold Prospector, Garry Perry, St Arnaud
On our February roadtrip, we skirted the township of St Arnaud and I was impressed by the beautiful old homes. I’m very pleased to have an opportunity for better look around, even though it could still only be described as a reccie. The main street is lined with vine draped awnings and young autumn trees and they’ve not neglected their street art credentials either with moody murals in black and white paying tribute to gold panners and Country Fire Authority heroes.
Tarnagulla, Victoria
My next temptation for out of car exploration comes with the tiny village of Tarnagulla, which seems almost a ghost town, but that is rich in gold fields history and community. The local free camp is well populated with vans, presumably occupied by grey nomads. In the township the information centre is closed, but their public artwork is openly available in the form of a Kangaroo Chair designed by local school children and dripping with symbolic references to local community.
A giant chess or checkerboard is surrounded by seating. Presumably pieces for a game may be available from the information centre when it’s open. It’s such a charming little place, I can’t resist a little wander and read about a series of local heritage loop walks and the history of the town in the gold rush era, the source of an astonishing wealth of finds. On a field that stretched 2 ½ miles along the main lead, some diggers were recovering as much as 86 lbs of gold in only a fortnight. It’s a hot day, the walks look enticing but are more than I have time or energy for in this heat. I turn my attention to an information board covering the floods of 2011, pleased to see that recent history is included in the story for visitors to consider. I settle for a short walk along Commercial Road, utterly charmed by Tarnagulla.  
Wesleyan Methodist Church, Tarnagulla
Back to the car, I take a turn up to the Poverty Mine project and memorial, named in remembrance of Poverty Bay in NZ rather than some symbolic reference to the range of trajectories that time on the goldfields represents. Nearby the burnt out shell of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, bright red brick of solid walls a surprising contrast to the roofless state. Even in its state of distress, it is a beautiful sight against the soft blue sky.
It’s nearly four o’clock but before I dedicate myself entirely to the journey across to Echuca, I seek out the water in Bridgewater. The oral history recorded on the sign about the flooding has made me curious and I’m learning to assume that any place where a township has sprung up must have water. Sometimes it’s a swimming pool or lake, or sometimes a river, but people gravitate to water and it’s a great place to start the exploration of any town or village. As I follow the modest street sign to the swimming place, I have no idea of the treasure I’m about to find.
The parking area is basic, but determined to photograph the water and perhaps the bridge I walk towards it. Swimming is in the pondage created by a weir and there’s a lovely picnic area with shade sails and electric barbeques, entry to the water facilitated by decking and ladders.  
Checking out the opportunities for photographs of the bridges, I find a most civilised fishing platform upstream, the meandering pathway leading me on with more rewarding scenes.  A huge flock of corellas is roosting in the trees along the river. The constant chatter among the birds adding another dimension to the riverside beauty spot.

Mural, Bridgewater, Victoria

Passing under the first of the bridges which seems like it might be an old railway bridge, I come upon a wonderful surprise in the form of an intricate and beautiful mosaic. Hundreds of hand made tiles in a myriad of shapes and forms have been brought together in representation of the town and it’s history. It is simply beautiful. So impressive.  
Corellas on the Loddon River at Bridgewater
Between the bridges cut out rust textured canopies stand like elevated lily pads above a picnic table. Suddenly in a chorus erupts as the flock of corellas takes flight. They settle and rise again in their hundreds over the water of the Loddon. I point and click hopeful of capturing the moment.
Crossing under the road bridge, the path, continues along the river where signage indicates that motorised water sports is popular, before terminating in an apparent dead end. I turn back and note with admiration the water station. And then the final cherry on top. A welcome to country in language and English translation from the Dja Dja Wurrung people noting that this has been a place of crossing for the traditional owners as well as those that have come after.
Bridgewater on Loddon
It’s time I got back on my way. A quick snap, has turned into half an hour and I could easily have stayed much longer. The township feels remote, but really it’s only half an hour north west of Bendigo, or a couple of hours to the heart of Melbourne. I love this about Victoria. So much diversity and interest within such a compact distance.
I’ve still got a way to go yet, so I head reluctantly back to the car and onto the first actual one lane roads I’ve come across in Australia. The road corridor is of ample width and visibility runs into the far distance but the sealed surface is much more restricted requiring vehicles to move half onto the dirt to accommodate oncoming traffic. The landscape is beautifully flat, the sky soft and grey in the late afternoon light.

Entering Echuca, my attention is drawn by what I now see as a blank canvas – Echuca Water Tower. Here my obsessive nature pays off.  I bit of digging around to spark my memory of where I took the photograph, I find that the Echuca Water Tower was designed by John Monash. Yes, THE John Monash who submitted the tender for the job in early 1914. Construction was finished after Monash had sailed for Egypt with the AIF.  It seems John Monash did a fine line in water towers having also designed water towers constructed around the same time period in Tongala, Rochester, Mildura and Tatura (home of the superb vanilla slice produced by Tatura Hot Bread).
Echuca Water Tower
It’s been a very full and enjoyable day, but by now I’m well and truly ready for settling in for the night. Eventually I go for something clean but basic with the priority on budget. I’m very happy with the choice of the Big River Motel which is worthy of the excellent online ratings.

No comments: